Step Three: Document your damages and losses by making a thorough and detailed list of all your damaged possessions, as well as the damage to your home or business. Pictures or videos of the damaged property and possessions are good methods of documentation to include with your loss claim. Document your losses even if you do not have insurance, as you might be entitled to make other claims for assistance. More detailed information about making a claim with FEMA can be found at www.disasterassistance.gov or by calling 1-(800) 621-FEMA (3362) or 1 (800) 462-7585 (TTY) for the hearing and speech impaired.
You are urged to consult with a processional before commencing any repair or construction work to your home or business. Most work will require a permit, must be completed by a licensed contractor and inspected by the Iberia Parish Permitting, Planning and Zoning Department. Normal permitting fees will apply. If in doubt, please contact John Raines or Charlie Picard at (337) 369-4428 or come by the Iberia Parish Permitting Office located at 715-A Weldon Street, New Iberia, LA 70560.
The following is an illustrative list of some items of repair, replacement or work to your home or business that may or may not require you to obtain a permit.
IBERIA PARISH PERMITTING OFFICE DOES NOT REQUIRE PERMITS FOR:
- Repair/replacement of fences under seven (7) feet high
- Repair/replacement of sheetrock
- Repair/replacement of doors, windows, awnings, etc
- Painting ( interior or exterior)
- Replacing tile, carpets, linoleum, flooring (check with office for details), cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work
- Wooden decks, driveways, patios, arbors, etc.
IBERIA PARISH PERMITTING OFFICE DOES REQUIRE PERMITS FOR:
- Transfer of Electrical Services
- Connection/Reconnection of Electrical Services
- New Electrical Services
- Connection of Sewage Services
- Reroofing/Construction of New Roof Structures
- Construction of Load Bearing Walls
- Relocation of Load Bearing Walls
- Connection/Reconnection of Gas Services
- Repair of all structural damage
BUILDING PERMITS ARE REQUIRED FOR RESIDENTIAL, MODULAR HOMES, MOBILE HOMES, CAMPERS, RECREATIONAL VEHICLES, COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENTS WHETHER PERMANENT OR TEMPORARY.
PLEASE CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE COMMENCING ANY CONSTRUCTION OR REPAIR WORK.
ALL WORK MUST BE COMPLETED BY A LICENSED CONTRACTOR AND INSPECTED BY IBERIA PARISH. NORMAL PERMITTING FEES APPLY. IF IN DOUBT CONTACT JOHN RAINES OR CHARLIE PICARD AT 337-369-4438.